Clicking a thumbnail (on the left) displays its photo on the right. You can enlarge the right hand photo by clicking it.
To copy a photo, click 'Download' below the photo. To copy the whole gallery, click "DOWNLOAD ALL" above the photo.
St Magnus is the most northerly cathedral in the British Isles, a fine example of Romanesque architecture built for the bishops of Orkney when the islands were ruled by the Norse Earls of Orkney. It is owned not by the church, but by the burgh of Kirkwall as a result of an act of King James III of Scotland following Orkney's annexation by the Scottish Crown in 1468. It has its own dungeon.Its construction commenced in 1137 and it was added to over the next three hundred years. Before the Reformation, the Cathedral was presided over by the Bishop of Orkney, whose seat was in Kirkwall. Today it is a parish church of the Church of Scotland.(Thanks are due to Wikipedia for the above details).